Don Frye im Interview über Karriere

The Prophet

Upper Card
Don Frye Reflects on Long Career

Für diejenigen, die ihn evt. nicht kennen: Don Frye ist einer der Dinosaurier des sports, der in der UFC sowie bei PRIDE unglaubliche schlachten hinlegte und mehr mit Herz als mit Technik die Fans für sich eroberte. Noch heute ist er hoch angesehen, vor allem für seine Meinungen und Zitate, auch wenn die glorreichen Zeiten hinter ihm liegen. Im Interview mit dem sherdog-Radio sprach er nun über einige interessante Aspekte über die neue Generation und die Bezahlung der Athleten. Hier einige Auszüge:

''I’m one of the old-time moonshiners and now you’ve got the 500-horsepower cars. These days they’re so technically fantastic. They’re great athletes. I get a kick out of watching them fight.''

''A couple of times I didn’t pull (a fight) it off. I screwed up, but I’m not like Brock Lesnar where there’s a trail of piss from the locker room to the cage. I come to fight. I’m not walking in there looking for a soft spot to land.''
''The fans are fantastic. Fantastic fans. But the thing is, Dana White’s just ruined the sport. I got to thinking about it today and you know, he ruined it for me. I thought, ‘Why am I letting that asshole dictate my life and take all of the fun out of it for me?’ I just ignore him and go on with my life. I might climb back in the cage just because I finally say, ‘F--k it. Why let him ruin it?’ I just ignore him and go on with my own business''

''You see some of these guys only getting two or three or six thousand dollars and you’ve got Dana bragging about having 30 Ferraris. Come on. You have a sponsor and he charges a sponsor what, a hundred and fifty grand to have your stuff on the fighter? That’s money he’s stealing from the fighter.''

Oben